Friday, January 16, 2009

Pan Islamic view?

Living in an Islamic state since last 3 years, I learnt a lot about the religion which I never knew back home in a secular country where we do not indulge in religious talks, at least not with people following other faiths. The religion has intrigued me, with so much happening in its name worldwide.
Is there a pan Islamic thinking…some common thread which is triggering events worldwide, as if by some co ordination!!


I quote below a few conversations I had with so called educated Kurdish people, one being London educated engineer. These conversations were in context to India, hence very relevant to us.

1. He: you say you have 150 million Muslims in India, then why you don’t have Fridays as holidays?
Me: Because we have more than 850 million non Muslims.
He: ok…..but still your country should respect faith of 150 million Muslims and declare Fridays as holidays.

2. He: Now you have a Muslim as president, right? (That time APJ was the president)
Me (with lots of pride): yes, that is right, and he is a scientist who developed missiles for India.
He: Why doesn’t he declare India as Islamic state?
Me (with shock): Well because our constitution makes us a secular state. Besides our president does not have executive powers. These powers rest with our Parliament.

3. He (London educated engineer): India has such a big problem of population. Why doesn’t govt. enact laws to tackle the issue?
Me: You are right. Our country needs some laws to control population, but some religious leaders will oppose any such move, citing it to be against their faith.
He (after some thoughtful moments): If you are talking about Muslims, then they are right. We need to increase Muslim population worldwide, specially where we are in minority.

This person further enlightened me that according to Islamic beliefs the first man Adam, had dropped somewhere in India from heaven. So it is the desire of every Muslim to conquer India and make it an Islamic state.

Most shocking for me were the conversation with the second and third person. My secular conditioning had never allowed me to see a pattern which nevertheless exists since middle ages when India was repeatedly attacked by Muslim invaders from Afganistan, Iran, magnolia….by Taimur Lang to Chaingez Khan, to Gaznabi , Nadir Shah. Ghouri to the Moghuls.

Interestingly each of the invaders targeted the seat of Hindu faith, its temples. They ruthlessly looted and destroyed them and built Mosques as symbols of their victory over their ruins. I will not go into details of how they forcefully converted local population into their own faith. Our ‘Secular’ history books also do not acknowledge such atrocities ever having been committed.
Even in present age, terrorists choose to target the temples, whether it is Akshardham, or bajrangbali or Mumba devi.

Is there a Pan Islamic view which has existed for thousand and five hundred years? If you had asked me 3 years back, I would have engaged you in a debate against it. Now I would think there is.

I am not against any religion, and my purpose is not to spread hate. My faith and spirituality has no place for hate, but promotes only love, for all creatures of the planet….Vasudhaiv Kutumbkam.

However I do believe that one needs to open eyes to the reality. Keeping eyes shut in the name of secularism will only harm the nation. What with millions of illegal Bangladeshis crossing over each year and changing demography of the whole of North East.

I also believe that any nation that chooses to ignote its history is doomed to repeat its mistake.

I do not care how one chooses to worship or what name he gives to God. It is none of my business. Similarly it should be none of anybody’s business how I choose to relate to God. When I do not attack anybody’s faith, none should dare to even think of harming mine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wow....the comments on how India "should" solve its problems were horrifying to say the least..
But yeah, what India is doing to resolve the issues isnt too exciting either...
As long as people are favored in the guise of equal rights, I think communal riots will continue....